Churchill Downs Racetrack

Known as the home of the Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks, Churchill Downs Racetrack in Louisville, Ky., occupies 147 acres and features a one-mile dirt oval and a seven-furlong turf course. The racetrack conducts Thoroughbred racing during a Spring Meet and Fall Meet. Thoroughbred racing and the Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks have been run continuously at Churchill Downs since 1875. Churchill Downs has served as host for a record eight Breeders’ Cup World Championships. In the spring of 2005, Churchill Downs completed a massive $121 million renovation project to modernize its venerable grandstand and clubhouse. The modernization increased the permanent seating capacity to nearly 52,000, added 77 luxury suites, as well as integrated simulcast areas and other new premium venues to the world’s most legendary racetrack. In 2010, Churchill Downs installed permanent lights around its famed dirt oval to accommodate its popular "Downs After Dark" night-time racing programs, which expanded to include "Opening Night" of the Spring Meet in April 2011.

Trackside Louisville, a former harness racing facility located approximately five miles from Churchill Downs, primarily serves as a training facility with a 6-furlong, dirt training track and additional stabling for horsemen competing at Churchill Downs. The facility is also used for simulcast wagering on major race days as needed.

Street Address: 
Churchill Downs Racetrack
700 Central Ave
Louisville, KY 40208
Lead Executive: 
Kevin Flanery, President